December 15, 2011

Bullying

So at my AMAZING school and I say amazing loudly because it's in all caps and because I truly believe this was the BEST decision I have ever made for myself (again with the caps) We have some great Learning Leaders and some Amazing Front desk associates who teach us lots of important skills and things you should know not only in the world of Cosmetology but in life. Paul Mitchell teaches us lifestyles like the "be nice or else" club, I could name a few more but that one today really stood out to me. I'll be honest this week hasn't been one I have wanted to be awake for. You know those days where you want nothing more than to crawl back into bed with nothing but yourself a book maybe several movies and a LARGE soda or coffee or cocoa. That's been me all this week. I have no motivation to want to go to school. I do because I know it's best for me to not miss a thing. You never know when that life changing moment will be waiting there for you. Now I have done lots of great things with Production team and it's been amazing to do but today I told my cute friend Kelli that I was in a funk and I was going to take a longer lunch to just sit at brickoven and relax and drink as much rootbeer as I could put into my tummy, she said that's fine but want to do something for me and come to the be nice or else team event where we are going to the boys and girls club in provo and talking to them about bullying. I said sure, she's always so good to me so I could do something for her. So I enjoyed my brickoven, went to class, went to a production team meeting then to theory then to this class Kelli had. Now I am not saying that I got a lot out of it and I am not saying the kids who were clearly not paying attention got anything out of it, but I am glad I went.
Lots of you may not know this but I was bullyed, I would come home and tell my mom how no one wanted to be my friend or something mean and hurtful someone else said to me. Now I think I was just an odd child and didn't fit in but I know what it felt like and I know that some of those kids that were truly listening had been bullied because they did what I did, I could see it in their eyes that they wished only to be accepted. I wanted to reach out and hug them and tell them that things will change, that people will accept them for who they are one day and that none of this adolencence garbage will matter when they get older, but does it really ever end??
We had a class about creating Magic with my good friend Rhi and it was so good. We all went around the room and introduced the person sitting next to us and talked about who they were and made them all feel special. I am glad that I had people say such nice things about me and that I am accepted. Sometimes I don't feel accepted all the time, but I know now that those things don't matter anymore. So what if someone doesn't like the way you styled your hair, or doesn't like your shoes. If they have to go around bothering you then not only are they overly obsessed with everything you do but they don't have a life worth talking about so they pick on someone else.
I know I am sort of rambling but I just wanted to say how important it is to start instilling this thought into your children, how it shouldn't matter what people think of you but it's how you feel about yourself. If you are in love with yourself than this petty bullying will not matter to you down the road.
I love myself and I know that I am accepted, not only by other students, but by my family (who are obviously most important) The teachers at paul mitchell, and old friends.
I hope anyone dealing with bullys even if it's not a direct to your face bullying that they can shake it off and rise above it.

1 comment:

  1. Damn, it keeps telling me I can't comment. Maybe anonymous will work?
    Anyway...
    I didn't know you were bullied. That hurts my heart. It is one of my biggest worries as a parent. I don't think I would be able to stand it if my child was being bullied, and I be so mad if I ever found out that he was bullying anyone else! It's amazing how cruel kids/teens can be.
    I am SO proud of you for rising above! And I love hearing you sound happy and feeling accepted. It is so great that you have discovered that it comes from within. I wish more girls knew that...it took me forever to figure it out. I'm still learning, actually.
    Anyway, love ya Heather!
    -Rachelle
    PS...I know what you mean about wanting to stay in bed with a book. Totally. I think the weather just does me in.

    ReplyDelete